Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pain or Boredom?

So, this comes with some thoughts I've had recently through some extracurricular crap that has been going on in my life and mistakes that I've made. I am posing this question: would you rather be alone and not felt anything or with friends, a lover, etc and feel everything, including the pain?

When looking back at my life, there are some definite 'I wouldn't change it if I had to' and there are the 'I could have dealt without having to go through that.' And so, I wonder if the pain is worth it? Obviously, it tells us we are alive and in a sense, connects us to one another; we now have the ability to empathize with another person, even if we will never meet them. Also, I wonder, does the pain make us more interesting? Art, theatre, etc would say so because happiness does not sell as well. The papparazzi don't look for happy couples; they look for dysfunction and we buy it. We buy a magazine about someone else's 'stuff' so we can forget about our own or so we feel better about ourselves. Shouldn't we spend that time instead fixing our own?

I guess in answer to my own question: I'd rather have a life of dark clouds for just the chance or just one silver lining than a life of emptiness and regret. 'It is better than to have loved and lost...' after all.

No comments: